Already in late winter we were preparing for a late and wet spring. Little did we know how late and wet it would be! While we dealt with weather delays we did what we could do to take care of preparing fields. That included burning off corn stalks in areas that drifted into think mats around water holes. It is nearly impossible to plant through these and if planting succeeds, the crop will struggle.
And then, when we were able to get moving in the field, we buried the tillage tool more than once. Most of the time we could get it our ourselves but we did need to call on a couple neighbors, with larger tractors, to help us out a couple of times.
After harvest our machinery gets cleaned and inspected with a list of what needs to be done to ready it for the next crop year. This list gets prioritized into winter and summer projects. This winter seemed to be busier than usual. Not only did we spend way too much time moving snow but the pre-spring project list was longer than usual.
Every fall the air conditioner condenser, on our semi tractor that actually has a working AC, fills up with bees wing from all the corn chaff flying around. As you can see in these images, it’s rather nasty and in a very difficult area to see. This means blindly cleaning and using a phone to take these photos to monitor the progress.
The 2018-2019 winter started out rather slow but once the snow started in mid January, it was never ending along with the winds. We burned through more tractor fuel than we ever have trying to keep up. Not only did we have two yards to clear, we also had to blow portions of the road to travel between farm sites. I am thankful for the snow blower because if we were piling with a loader we would have run out of space to push the snow especially between my garage and barn.