Building ridges in corn always seems to have a narrow window of opportunity. We had a couple false starts where we were burying too much corn. Waited 3 or 4 days and suddenly we were ridging like mad July 1 -3. A few areas in the field were already on the verge of being too large as my rock box occasionally snapped off a stalk because it is the lowest point on my tractor. That will be remedied before next year’s ridges are built.
One week later, the corn was significantly taller. No way we could have made it through it then. One mistimed rainfall and we may have missed our opportunity.
The corn is growing quickly in Southwest MN. With the recent rains, we are finally feeling like our drought is subsiding, at least for the moment. This crop has a long way to go but it is doing well. We drove to Spirit Lake, IA the June 22 weekend. Throughout most of the trip, from Sanborn, MN south there was ponding and crops being lost to excess water. These areas had rains earlier that we missed and received as much or more rain that the 4″ we were blessed with in the past week. We did receive some hail with one rain event but crop damage was minimal for us while others to the south east had nearly total losses in a small area.
We came close to cutting our ditch hay but held off. It’s a good thing that we did. There’s a lot of cut hay going to waste as rains continued and didn’t allow timely baling.
The next push for use is building ridges in our corn. Every year it seems we have a narrow window of opportunity between corn being too small and too big. Our B & H brand ridging cultivators are serviced and ready to hit the field. We cultivated some headlands already and found our that the GPS guidance on our 8295RT tractor was not serving us well. Today we upgraded to a newer GPS globe and are pleased with the stability of the tracking.
Every year we put in our own corn test plot. We enter everything we plant in our fields plus other varieties we’re interested in growing for next year. Our direction has turned from past years back toward Double Pro varieties and applying insecticide as well as Triple Pro corn. We are rejecting Smartstax and similar super varieties with multiple root worm modes of control. With root worm resistance showing up in MN fields, not real far from us it’s time to take control and not follow the seed company mantra of more in seed technology. Bugs are adaptive and will overcome these traits in time. We chose not to apply any insecticide in our test plot this year, even on the non RW corn.
That being said, here is our lineup for the 2013 test plot.
It’s been a crazy spring for 2013 planting. The weather is not in a normal pattern to say the least. We plant when we can, spray pre-emerge herbicides when we can and put in odd hours. More than usual seems to happen in the dark this year. We are down to our last 120 acres of soybeans then wait until about June 15 to plant Brad’s 40 acres of sweet corn.
Last year we had to push the sweet corn ahead a couple days in order to get our ridges built in the corn before it got too big to get through. That will definitely not be the case this year. The corn has emerged but has mostly been greeted by cold weather and damp, cloudy conditions. Not much height being added to it.
After a long, cold spring the weather has finally turned favorable for corn planting in Redwood County, MN. There were a few neighbors putting in corn last week but planting began in full force on Monday, May 6 from most area farmers. Everyone worked hard and fast with the impending rain in the forecast for Wednesday. The rain did come and now we wait again for the next window of opportunity.
The weather has finally warmed to the point where some neighbors are planting corn. Soil has warmed nicely to over 50 degrees but there’s a lot of cold weather on the horizon. We’re holding off so we don’t risk stand and yield loss. It costs too much to put the seed in the ground. With all the warnings for the Universities and the seed companies about seed being hurt by cold soils/water we have chosen to ride out this next stretch of weather.
We spent today finalizing field cultivator maintenance, calibrating the planter liquid fertilizer system and sorting our seed corn by field and order of planting. We will ready the pull behind sprayer tomorrow as well as tweak to GPS autotrac settings.
We spent Wednesday hauling the last of Otto Farms corn to town. Things didn’t go as smoothly as expected. We picked up two used trucks in December and this is the first real use of them pulling loads. The 2005 Freightliner didn’t hardly make it out of the gate. We had air pressure issues that in turn caused horsepower issues. So we hauled with the 2002 International until an air bag started to leak. Down to no trucks for half a day then pulled things together at the end to get the bin empty before the roads became unnavigable due to the spring thaw.