Whenever I need to climb the grain leg on our farm to do maintenance, I have to take a moment to enjoy the view and snap a few photos. Enjoy!
East view from grain leg.
South view from grain leg.
West view from grain leg.
A view of the yard.
It’s been a month since one of our corn fields was decimated by hail. We chose to let it grow out and harvest what’s left. What is there is coming back nicely but, as you can see in these pictures, the east-west headlands have very few plants left. Our weed control will be running out soon as well. As time goes forward, we will need another round of weed control. This can be either a herbicide broadcast or hand weeding.
July 18 Update – Another round of heavy rain has filled up the low areas once again.
One of the few weeds.
Weed control in soybeans is a summer long effort. In early July, we made our 3rd pass with the sprayer. The first pass was right after planting and consisted of a herbicide to burn down existing weeds as well as one that gave us about 1 month of control for emerging weeds. The second pass was similar but using chemicals with different modes of action to circumvent weeds becoming resistant to the few chemicals we have left. For the 3rd and final pass we use Roundup and a grass control herbicide. The grass control herbicide controls the volunteer corn. The Roundup will control some weeds that aren’t resistant. We will use hand weeding as a follow up to control weeds that are Roundup resistant.
Excellent pre-emerge herbicide control.
We may find harvesting this field quite difficult. There is a lot of stem bruising from strong wind driven hail.
Weed control is never done. We’ve been busing hoeing, hand pulling and hand spraying weed in the field and on the borders.
After careful scouting of our fields we had to spray one for aphids. We reached the U of M threshold of 250/plant.
Down time from field work means maintenance around the yard. Here’s Leon latching the newly installed gate.
The time has come to do our post-emerge application of Roundup on our soybeans. This spring we used a pre-emerge herbicide on our our fields. The soybean fields looked so clean we delayed longer than usual with our post emerge application. When we started spraying we realized the mistake we had made. The remaining weeds were 1 foot or taller. Too large for Roundup to do significant damage to. Many will burn down and then come back. Scouting the field one week later we already saw signs of new growth on waterhemp that looked dead from a distance. We also found 1 1/2 foot tall waterhemp than had little or no damage to the plant from our Roundup application of 38oz/acre.
On two fields we chose to take more drastic measure and hired migrant workers to hoe out our resistant weeds. They showed up two weeks after spraying and spent a few days walking the fields.
We also dug our old bean rider out of the shed and did some field border spraying from that.
Not to leave any weed patches untouched, we finally brought out our own hoes and went after some stray weeds with them.
Building ridges in corn always seems to have a narrow window of opportunity. We had a couple false starts where we were burying too much corn. Waited 3 or 4 days and suddenly we were ridging like mad July 1 -3. A few areas in the field were already on the verge of being too large as my rock box occasionally snapped off a stalk because it is the lowest point on my tractor. That will be remedied before next year’s ridges are built.
One week later, the corn was significantly taller. No way we could have made it through it then. One mistimed rainfall and we may have missed our opportunity.