Attended the Winter Crops and Soils Day put on by the University of MN, SWROC. Great topics and excellent speakers.
- Jeff Strock spoke on Drainage Water Management.
- Bruce Potter’s presentation addressed Soybean Pest Management.
- Kent Thiesse, Minnstar Bank VP gave an update on the new farm bill.
- Mark Seeley, U of M Climatologist looked at past climate patterns as well as what forecasters are predicting for the coming months.
- Jeff Gunsolus, Agronomist, stressed the importance of integrating residual herbicides into corn and soybean weed management. This is a topic that can’t be given too much attention.
- Ken Ostlie, Entomologist, addressed the challenges of managing resistance to rootworm traits in Bt corn. This is another topic that farmers need to pay careful attention to.
All in all there was a great turnout for this meeting and I would like to thank all the presenters for choosing topics that farmers can take home and put into practice on their farms while returning a profit from their implementation. The U of M does fantastic work on behalf of all Minnesota farmers!